Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I am so happy to see so many of my friends completing these lists. We should all help and encourage each other along these journeys. I think it will help all of us to focus on the things that are truly important and what makes us really happy.

I was so inspired when I read Amanda's blog today. I know how she feels about being in a dark place and losing faith. I have never had any self-esteem. I have always felt like I was never good enough. Then I lost my job at Family Security. I can honestly say that being fired is one of the most humiliating and hurtful experiences ever. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Plus if you have a low opinion of yourself like I did, it hurts even more. It took over 5 months to find another job. This one was at Compass Bank. Just as I started feeling a little more sure of myself, I starting getting sick. The Dr's couldn't figure out what was wrong. After 10 days off and on in the hospital, they decided to remove my gall bladder as a last resort. Well, that was too late for Compass. They fired me too. Again, I thought I had hit rock bottom. Oh no, the worst was yet to come. To make a long boring story short, my medical insurance was cancelled while I was still in the hospital, before I was actually fired. The hospital stay, tests and surgery were not covered under my insurance. I was left with over $50,000 in medical bills. Not to mention that my finances were already a shambles from being out of work for so long. I was told by my attorney that the only option I had was to declare bankruptcy. That meant losing my house. I could have dealt with losing the building, but it was my grandparents old house that I had inherited. I had taken out a mortgage to make all the improvements to make it livable again. No I had to face the fact that I was a failure and a disappointment yet again. I had to move back home with my parents, I had no where else to go. It was the darkest time of my life. I thought many days that the world would be much better off without me, that I was just a drain on everyone.

My story does have a happy ending though. Through hard work, faith and prayer, I have finally realized that I am NOT a loser or a failure or a disappointment to anyone. The world would be a must more boring place without me, LOL. My parents have been wonderful. I still live with them and I am going to stay there as I plan and save toward building my dream house. My friends also played a big part, probably more than they will ever know. There are no words or actions to express how much their love & support means to me. I no longer hate Family Security or Compass for what happened. My lord, if it hadn't been for the old FSCU, I wouldn't ever have met my wonderful friends. Letting go of the anger helped me to heal. I wasn't only hurting myself by filling my thoughts and my life with spite, bitterness and hatred. It was making me a sick and miserable person. I was also so blessed to find the most wonderful job purely by accident. I came to Dr. Hardy's office just as a temporary fill-in for a maternity leave. I found my home there. He is the most amazing boss that anyone could ask for. He inspires all of us to work harder for him because he appreciates & rewards us. I wish everyone could work in as wonderful an work environment as I do.

The moral to the story is have faith and never give in to the pain. Let the anger, hurt & resentment go. You will never change the past or anything that has already happened. Dwelling on things will only hold you back from happiness in the future. I also highly recommend the book "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. I found it so inspiring. It really changed the way I look at my life and my power to control what happens around me. Now I am through with my venting for the day. Sorry I ran on so long. And you were right Amanda, blogging is cheaper than therapy, LOL!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you christy, i am glad that everything is going so good for you now!
p.s. you are right, the world would be more boring without you and your cutting edgeness in it! :-)

azhulsey said...

Sometimes it takes being in a dark place to appreciate the sunshine! I'm glad you and I both found our way out :) I heart blogging!!!

Jaime said...

i am so glad that your dark cloud had a silver lining! i wish that i had done more for you then. i know that it had to be horrible, and i was so caught up in my own life that i wasn't there for you like i should have been. i am so thankful for your friendship, and you know that i am there now no matter what happens!!

julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
julie said...

thanks so much for your post. it is so good to hear encouraging words from people. i am so glad that you have overcome such a bad time in your life and have such a good outlook on it now. i am so thankful that i got to meet you girls during jaime's wedding.